Happy New Year!
January 1, 2008
Happy New Year, everyone!
May you have a most excellent 2008.
A few random predictions:
1. A Democrat will be elected president.*
2. The “green” movement and will become completely mainstream as the environment and sustainable production become even bigger issues; the concepts of “eating local” (localvores) and buying handmade will also gain support. However, fast food and convenience, fast fashion (e.g. H&M, Target, etc.), and the abundance of cheap goods at places like Walmart aren’t going anywhere, so it is going to take much more time before the majority of people do more than just paying lip service to these issues.
3. Notre Dame’s football team will be marginally better; Charlie Weis’s highly touted recruits will show promise and he will not get fired.
4. Some sort of Watergate-level scandalous information is going to come to light about the Bush administration, probably having to do with Cheney (this is pure guesswork on my part, but the Vice Dick is one crafty, shady old dude, isn’t he?)
5. Media companies and advertisers will (finally) start to realize that partipants and conversation are more important than sheer numbers. Or at least I hope so.
6. Many others have predicted this, but RSS will tip this year (yes, it’s already popular amongst bloggers and techies, but it is not exactly common outside of the geek world).
*There’s already one positive thing about 2008 – it is Curious George’s last year in office.